Welcome to Serious Play Fan Group

Viewing 9 posts - 11 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Per Kristiansen
    Participant

Hi Sébastien
    that is a short question with a longer answer. Perhaps it would make sense to connect on the phone, are you on skype? My call name is pkristia

Karen Chisvin
    Participant

Another possibility for now or in the future:
    I have designed and delivered online professional development courses, after completing a Masters of Continuing Education degree in a largely online environment. I’d be delighted to work with anyone who is interested to design an online facilitation training program using the LSP methodology. I’ve been working a little on how to do a facilitation with a client using online technologies, and a facilitation training would be somewhat similar. It is definitely a different experience from face to face, but there are still many rich possibilities, especially when one is far from a facilitator and cannot get a group together.

Karen Cohen
    Participant

I’d sure like to see more case studies from some of the professional facilitators. These will help other understand LSP and help us make the case for attending training.

Karen

Per Kristiansen
    Participant

Karen,
    What kind of case studies are you thinking about? In relation to direct client engagements (ie using LSP to solve a client problem) or in relation to the training of facilitators? I suspect it is the first one

Karen Cohen
    Participant

Yes, results gained with clients. I’ve studied many of the facilitator’s websites and see the impact LSP has had with their businesses. What I’d like to see is more sharing among the facilitators of outcomes, successes, results.

I read the two that are posted and they are very good. I’m encouraging other facilitators to share their best stories (case histories) as well. There doesn’t have to be a format, just a sharing of results gained.

Karen

Eli De Friend

Hi Karen, the experience, case studies, case histories that you are asking for have been suggested as one of the key reasons for having a community such as this one. You are not alone :-)
    However, as you have already gathered, few of the partners communicate their experience openly on the web site. I cannot speak for anyone other than CAPRESE, but I’ll list a few of the reasons why I think that we don’t see that many case studies out there.
    1) Confidentiality – People and institutions tend to be reluctant to brag about their problems or difficulties. This would be an initial hurdle to describing the context of an LSP intervention.
    2) Contact with participants – At least in my experience, participants arrive at the workshop not knowing the facilitator, perhaps not knowing the workshop organiser and quite likely not knowing that the methodology to be used is LEGO SERIOUS PLAY. After the workshop, the participants catch their trains/planes home and have little further contact with the facilitator.
    3) Corporate Politics/Corporate Culture – Some managers are reluctant to allow external facilitators to have access to their staff, after the event.
    4) Editorial skills – excellent facilitators are not necessarily excellent writers. I could quite imagine that many of our colleagues would hesitate a while before trying to document a case that their peers could read.
    5) Time – I don’t think I need to explain this one. Frequently “Time” and “Motivation” are synonymous
    6) Pertinence – One of the great things about the Partner Learning Days that were held in Billund every year, was that partners WOULD share their experiences. And what struck me at this event, was the diversity of activities of the various partners.

So to summarise: my feeling is that while the work I have been doing recently with the United Nations is interesting, I cannot be sure that my client would be confident (confidentiality) about the general public reading about his challenges, happy with me contacting his counterparts from other agencies (contact with participants) or taking up the precious time of his team on feedback sessions (corporate culture). And on my side, I know that it would take a number of days (time) to write adequately (editorial skills) about the event in a way that genuinely captured the challenge and the success, and I am not sure that after all that, it would help anyone else sell LSP to a prospective client (pertinence).

Eli De Friend

Oh, and by the way, this is coming from someone who wanted to be a creative writer and actually started his life as a technical writer and is prepared to take an hour out of a Friday evening to send you this reply.

Karen Cohen
    Participant

Eli,
    Thanks so much for your reply. Obviously no one would want to breach any confidentiality, and that was certainly not what I had in mind. Nor was I suggesting case studies be on the level of post-event evaluations. In my naivety I hoped that those already doing LSP might share with those desiring to add this to their toolkit,, thus stimulating growth of this community. One of the strongest topics on here, after all, is the promotion of professionals and their business services and training events. Seemed to me like a good idea, but you have made several good points that have helped broaden my understanding. Enjoy your weekend! Cheers, Karen

Per Kristiansen
    Participant

Hi,
    I think that Eli is spot on! This is one of the long standing challenges in the community, often the best sharing has been at the annual learning days, simply because then it happened by “the water cooler”, things emerged, sometimes the form of what eventually would become an official case.

Viewing 9 posts - 11 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2009-2024 SeriousPlayPro.com. SeriousPlayPro.com links professional facilitators using LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® methodology. It is not affiliated with LEGO. Check LEGO SERIOUS PLAY open source for details or get in touch with us.

See also our Privacy Policy and Frequently Asked Questions about LEGO SERIOUS PLAY

Send a question

We are a group of volunteers and may not respond right away. But soon! :-)

Sending

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account