LSP for Blind Participants

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Lindsay Ellis
    Participant

Hi LSP Community, I was wondering if anyone had ever run a LSP workshop for a team with partially sighted or blind participants. I have a group of 12 and half of those will have partial or no sight. I’m looking for some tips for skills building (I don’t think I can have them design based on a picture of a model) as well as anything I should consider while designing the workshop. They are looking for a workshop to help build culture as its a newly formed team and we have 4 hours.
    Thanks for the help!

Dieter Reuther
    Participant

Hi Lindsay,

This is not specifically about LSP, but might have some tips for you: http://legofortheblind.com/
    The site hosts text instruction to help blind people build LEGO Models.

Best,
    Dieter

Hugues Leininger
    Participant

Hi Lindsay
    I did it and it was a great human experience. You need to adapt the timing and material. I used standard packs at the beginning and you should leave to the blind participants enough time to memorise the content of the pack (they will probably sort all bricks)
    It is also better to allow more time to build. When you come to the presentation of the model, the blind participants touch the model when it is presented. It is better to have smaller groups with less blind participants than non blind, ideally one per table. We did only individual models but I think it is possible to buil shared or commun model if you keep in mind that the time is always longer.
    All the best for your workshop
    Hugues

Lindsay Ellis
    Participant

Thanks for the advice.

The group will be 50/50 partially sighted to sighted so it will definitely be a challenge. I will make sure that I give extra build time in my roadmap.

Hi Lindsay,

I’m a Disability Services professional in Boston. In our LSP sessions with participants who are blind/low vision, I’ve made available the following:
    Small white plastic bowls do Window Exp bag sorting.

One or two LEGO plates with one item of the full array of LEGO bricks and elements affixed (not glued)to the plate:it becomes an inventory sheet.

Several 12 inch rulers: they become supporting tools for building, collecting, sorting, separating, sizing and finding.

White 8×11 sheets of paper become the building area for individual builds.

You may also create an orientation audio recording that describes/verbalizes the metaphor making component of LSP, the inventory, the written and the materials, to be shared in advance of the session with the blind participants. You determine what content is too much of a spoiler and would compromise the process.

Above all else, ask the participants what may be an effective accommodation or modification of each task. Give explicit permission to the group members to ask each other for help.
    Ask for modification feedback at the end of the session. Perhaps you could share that feedback with us at a later point as a case study.
    I can be reached at crobin@bu.edu for further discussion. This forum is also good.

Daniel Weiss
    Participant

Hello I am preparing a training for the same profile of people. I woud like to know the why you did this kind of workshops. What kind of questions you placed? What was your goal? If there any website to be seen the practice?
    I thank you in advanced for your support and comments. Direct contact dwlegoes@gmail.com
    Daniel

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2009-2024 SeriousPlayPro.com. SeriousPlayPro.com links professional facilitators using LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® methodology. It is not affiliated with LEGO. Check LEGO SERIOUS PLAY open source for details or get in touch with us.

See also our Privacy Policy and Frequently Asked Questions about LEGO SERIOUS PLAY

Send a question

We are a group of volunteers and may not respond right away. But soon! :-)

Sending

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account