LSP and Industrial Process Improvement

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Ariel Fligler
    Participant

Greetings,

I am planning a workshop which will include LSP (hybridized with creative thinking techniques) for improving an industrial process – the way a specific team works within a specific station in the construction line. A classic LSP opportunity, the participants include line workers, managers, engineers etc.

If anyone has experience in such a scenario, I’d thank for any input on:
    1) Which of the different LSP applications you used ?
    2) Have you mixed it up with other methods (like some kind of CANVAS) ?

Thanks in advance,

Ariel

Pablo Luengas
    Participant

Hello Ariel,

This is an answer to your 2nd question. Only if the other methods are for ice-breaking, reactivating or relaxing after hours working, thinking, building, sharing, etc., then I might recommend it. Be careful not to take the group out of flow!

To your first question…

For an industrial process, you will have probably a mixture of process oriented minds (engineers) and hand-skilled guys. They both love to build! Though, abstract thinking might be a challenge for both. I had this situation already, so what worked for me was the following (after skills building, 1 h)

1. build yourself at work – ok, this might be criticized not being pure LSP (cause this is modeling reality and not metaphoric), but it worked for me
    2. get together with your team, build shared model of the process step. SHARE YOUR PROCESS STEP WITH THE WHOLE GROUP! (the team should share a brief but comprehensible “what is critical for us”)
    3. Teams get together with their client or provider in the group and build a shared model, which is now a production chain model
    4. integrate in the model the support areas (HR, Quality, Engineering,…). Now you have the whole plant model.

Now you are ready for the real work:
    1. Make teams with client-provider pairs and ask them to build together an improvement (small plates).
    2. Bring them to the big model and share.
    3. Make new client-provider pairs. Build new improvements (avoid building duplicates from previous models)
    4. Group now discusses what improvements are feasible or quick to implement.

Hope this helps!

Ariel Fligler
    Participant

Hello Pablo,

Thank you very much for the timely and detailed answer.

In the “shared model” do you also use connections (like we use in the higher level apps) between component so we could play scenarios ?

Also, do you use simple guiding principles ?

Thank you,

Ariel

Sebastian
    Participant

Hi Ariel I have used a similar approach though applied to processes in banks.
    I used a LEAN and TRIZ Creativity Matrix Canvas for each group to:
    1 Identify the current process chain and process components in the system to be improved.
    2. Identify Process Waste, Redundancy, Inefficiency using LEAN 8 Waste Matrix
    3. Using TRIZ, identify process chain components to Eliminate, Add, Modify, Transform or Copy
    4. Prioritize each improvement potential by Umpact and Achivability
    5. Create PARETO based Action plan.

I use connectors to connect the process components

Cheers

Ariel Fligler
    Participant

Sebastian,

Thank you very much ! it helps.

Ariel

Pablo Luengas
    Participant

Hello Ariel,
    I didn’t use connections or SGP in my workshop as time didn’t allow me, but I think it would be definitely a great idea to build the connections, agents and play scenarios to get the SGP. For this case, consider at least a 2-day-workshop.

Happy building!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2009-2024 SeriousPlayPro.com. SeriousPlayPro.com links professional facilitators using LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® methodology. It is not affiliated with LEGO. Check LEGO SERIOUS PLAY open source for details or get in touch with us.

See also our Privacy Policy and Frequently Asked Questions about LEGO SERIOUS PLAY

Send a question

We are a group of volunteers and may not respond right away. But soon! :-)

Sending

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account